For this exercise we will be using ”Avenza maps” smart phone map application to view your flight lines. Whilst there are many other field GIS applications Avenza is free and easy to use and used by many people for this type of application.
To complete this exercise you will need to search for and download Avenza to your mobile device.
We will upload the burn plan map we just created in QGIS to the Avanza app to guide us as we conduct our incendiary runs.
In QGIS: export your map as a GeospatialPDF for loading into AVENZA.
1. Use the Import/Export > Export to PDF tool as shown below.
2. When you export it make sure you select “Create Geospatial PDF”. This will result in a PDF map that AVENZA will be able to plot your location on.
3. Where you save this now is important. If you can save it to some cloud storage like Drop Box or Google Drive then loading it into Avenza is very easy. Alternatively, you can save the file to your desktop and email the GeospatialPDF to yourself or copy it onto an external SD card if your phone/device has one.
4. Once you have saved your PDF map and have Avenza installed on your phone, open Avneza and add a new map using the button shown below.
5. Select the button for adding a map
6. Select the location you want to add the map from:
7. Navigate to your PDF map and it will load into Avenza.
The example below is a map of Broome with fire frequency history and a blue dot showing my current location.